Spicy Kale, Brown Rice and Black Bean Salad
Cook Time 45
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 star anise
- 6 cups chopped kale, de-stemmed
- 1red onion, finely diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1 red capsicum, small dice
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 Tbsp. Kaitaia Fire hot sauce or more to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. Mandarin Aloe Concentrate
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized pot, combine 6 cups of water with 2 cups of brown rice and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, add star anise, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until water is absorbed and brown rice is fluffy.
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale and the onion.
- Once the brown rice is cooked, place in a bowl and allow to cool
- Add in the black beans, capsicum and corn to the bowl. Mix it up.
- Add the brown rice mixture over the kale and mix.
- Prepare the dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, mix and serve.
Stays fresh in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Can replace brown rice with quinoa or other grains and add any additional seasonal vegetables e.g. Asparagus, tomato, avocado etc.