Snack smart! Here are 25 great snack ideas with 150 calories or less.
If you’re running out of healthy snack ideas, today’s post is for you. Ideally, a healthy snack should consist of some ‘good’ carbohydrate and a bit of protein – the protein helps to satisfy your hunger, and the healthy carbs (like fruits, vegetables and whole grains) have water and fibre in them, so they help to fill you up.
We all get into ruts with our eating – and snacking is no exception. If you’re turning to the same old snacks every day, here are some healthy snacks to try – all for 150 calories or less.
• Protein Snack Bar – There are plenty of snack bars to choose from with 150 calories or less. For the most staying power, look for one that has some protein – 10 grams or so per serving is a good target.
• Mini smoothie – Whip out your blender and make a snack-sized smoothie with ½ cup (125ml) low fat milk, ½ cup (75g) frozen berries and a scoop (12g) of vanilla protein powder. About 140 calories, 8 grams protein.
• Greek-Style Vanilla Yogurt and Fruit – One single-serve (5.3 oz/150g) carton of yogurt + 1/2 cup (75g) sliced strawberries. Sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. About 145 calories, 13 grams protein.
• Low Fat Cottage Cheese + chopped veggies – 3/4 cup (160g) low fat cottage cheese + ½ cup (60g) chopped mixed veggies (carrots, cucumber, peppers). Add a few twists of fresh ground pepper. About 130 calories, 21 grams protein.
• Vegetables and hummus dip – 1/3 cup (80g) hummus + cucumber, carrot, celery sticks. About 150 calories, 6 grams protein.
• Nonfat latte – Made with 12 ounces (360ml) low fat milk or soy milk. Sprinkle with cinnamon. About 150 calories, 6-12 grams protein.
• Hard boiled egg on tomato slices – Slice a medium fresh tomato and one hard boiled egg. Top tomato slices with egg slices, season with salt and pepper. About 120 calories, 6 grams protein.
• Edamame soybeans – Drop 1 cup (150g) frozen edamame soybeans (in the pod) into boiling water for a few minutes. Sprinkle with a little salt or soy sauce. About 150 calories, 12 grams protein.
• Tuna + avocado – Pop open a single-serve can or pouch (2.5 oz/75g) of tuna and mix with ¼ medium avocado, mashed. About 150 calories, 18 grams protein.
• Turkey Sticks – 3 ounces (90g) roasted turkey breast wrapped around ½ medium cucumber, cut into sticks. About 120 calories, 25 grams protein.
• Tortilla + beans – heat up two corn tortillas, top with 1/3 cup (50g) cooked black beans and tomato salsa. About 140 calories, 7 grams protein.
• Vegetable soup + low fat cheese – Heat up one cup (250mL) of low sodium vegetable soup and top with 1 ounce (30g) grated nonfat mozzarella cheese. About 150 calories, 14 grams protein.
• Rice Cake + nut butter – Spread one rice cake with 1 Tablespoon of almond butter. About 135 calories, 5 grams protein.
• Shrimp + cocktail sauce – 3 ounces (85g) cooked whole shrimp dipped in 3 Tablespoons salsa or cocktail sauce. About 150 calories, 20 grams protein.
• Quick Spinach and Egg Cup – Put ½ cup (75g) frozen chopped spinach in microwaveable coffee mug. Microwave on high 30 seconds. Pour 1 beaten egg, seasoned with salt and pepper, on top and microwave another 90 seconds, stirring after 45 seconds. About 100 calories, 6 grams protein.
• Quick Quinoa Salad – Mix together ½ cup (90g) cold leftover cooked quinoa, with ¼ cup (30g) minced veggies/parsley + 1 ounce (30g) fat-free feta cheese. Drizzle with lemon juice, season with salt & pepper. About 150 calories, 16 grams protein.
• Sweet Potato with Yogurt – Top ½ medium baked sweet potato with ½ cup (100g) plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt. Sprinkle with nutmeg. About 115 calories, 10 grams protein.
• Quick Bean Salad – Mix ½ cup (80g) cooked white beans + 1 small chopped tomato + 1 Tablespoon low fat Italian salad dressing. About 150 grams, 8 grams protein.
• Tempeh wraps – Slice 2 ounces (60g) tempeh into long sticks. Wrap with thinly sliced cucumber. About 120 calories, 11 grams of protein.
• Roasted Garbanzo Beans – Drain a 1-pound (454g) can garbanzo beans. Toss with 2 tsp. olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast on cookie sheet at 400 degrees 30 minutes or until crunchy. Let cool. 1/3 recipe = About 150 calories, 12 grams protein.
• Turkey jerky + fruit – 1/8 medium-sized cantaloupe melon + 1 ounce (30g) low sodium turkey jerky. About 100 calories, 14 grams protein.
• Soy nuts + fruit – 1/3 cup (30g) dry roasted soy nuts + 1 small peach. About 150 calories, 11 grams of protein
• Oatmeal with a Boost – Cook 1 packet low-sugar instant oatmeal in water; stir in 1 tablespoon (6g) plain protein powder. About 150 calories, 9 grams protein.
• Salmon and Crackers – Mix 2 ounces (60g) canned salmon with 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard. Spread on a 4 medium-sized whole grain crackers. About 145 calories, 13 grams of protein.
What are your favourite healthy snacks? Share your snack ideas with a comment!
Susan Bowerman is Director of Nutrition Training at Herbalife. Susan is a Registered Dietitian and a Board-Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics.